The Headwaters at Incarnate Word exists to preserve, restore and celebrate the rich natural, cultural, historical, spiritual and educational values of the headwaters of the San Antonio River, especially within the 53-acre Headwaters Sanctuary. The Sanctuary contains the historic San Antonio Springs, “source” of the San Antonio River and known today as the Blue Hole.
We’re working to restore meaningful connection between humans and the natural world primarily by working the land, bringing health and healing to an ecologically disturbed but still beautiful urban landscape.
We’re also aiming to cultivate an ecological ethic in ourselves and others, learning and embracing environmentally responsible behavior and actions.
Headwaters at Incarnate Word, Inc. is a non-profit sponsored Earth care ministry of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, established in 2008 to reflect the Sisters’ growing awareness and sense of obligation to care for Creation.
Our specific goals are to:
- Establish a sanctuary for all Creation
- Restore health to its land and waters
- Offer the gifts of education and spiritual reflection
- Share the stories of this place and its people
- Connect the Headwaters to the community by way of a “Spirit Reach” (or Headwaters Reach) of the San Antonio River